Emulate the Past Emulate the Past

As I get older and play more and more modern video games, my memories of the old games I grew up with get more and more precious. This song is absolutely brilliant. While I grew up in the NES/SNES generation, this tune still has a lot of weight to me.

Even though the Famicom's sound chips were very different than the SID chip in the Commodore, the emotion and style is very much the same. It's an art that has become lost, even in modern chiptune music. It is very rare for there to be a piece that both equally captures that emotion and feel of the old masters of the 80s and early 90s, while still feeling fresh and new. I commend you Sky Marshall. This piece has become my absolute favorite piece of music on Newgrounds!

Jack Sparrow Jack Sparrow

Love it! A friend of mine turned me onto your music. I love all of it. Keep it coming!

The Cloudy Adventure The Cloudy Adventure

Very, very good. It reminds me of bands like Chipocrite and Anamanaguchi. Very late-era 8bit, with a bit of modern chiptune influence. I like it a lot!

basheman responds:

Thanks!
Yea modern chiptune is my style ^^

Viking Battlegrounds Viking Battlegrounds

I like it. Got a bit of kick to it, without being overpowering.

w0lv3rine responds:

well, I did "overpower" it at first but a few tweaks and a lil fine tuning made this song turn out alright. one of my better ones I think, but thats for you guys to decide ;D and thanks man, appreciate the review

Ballad of the Moonlight Ballad of the Moonlight

I agree with Naildown. The drums need to be emphasized a little more. But more importantly to me, the flute needs to be more prominent. It is carrying a nice melody, but the strings overpower it way too much. Overall a good piece though!

SunStarsMoon responds:

Thanks. I agree with both of you. It's a bit hard to mix the "rock" drums with the orchestral percussions and it's too dry. And the flute is definitely too much "behind".

MM-Elec Man MM-Elec Man

Not bad! Not bad at all! It's got kind of a chill vibe to it.

cmperry1984 responds:

thanks

You're Not Alone -PT Version You're Not Alone -PT Version

Hmmm....

Not sure what to think of it. The idea is there, but I think you tried a little too hard with the dissonance. It almost becomes too much of a dark theme.

ProjectTrinity responds:

Thank you for your input. I'm trying to work out my dissonance problem I have with my music.

A Short Trio No. 2 A Short Trio No. 2

Interesting

It kind of has a neo-classicistic feel with a bit of atonal theory thrown in. It's nice. It kind of reminds me of some of Motoi Sakuraba's newer works. You could easily expand this into a longer piece if the feeling struck you.

Otherworld - Deeride Otherworld - Deeride

LOL

For some reason this piece makes me think of the old Mobile Suit Gundam shows...don't really know why. Good job though!

raretools responds:

Intressting :P

Metroid Prime: Magmoor Caverns Metroid Prime: Magmoor Caverns

Interesting

Good arrangement. The sounds are very nice. Although the background brass has a little too much of a slate sounding echo. The soloing brass and the strings and synths all sound great though. What soundfonts/samples are you using?